Re: Sendmail and local addresses

On Thu, 10 May 2001, Jason Majors wrote:

> I have several machines, one acts as a mailserver, with an MX entry and all.
> The others are clients that know to use the server as a smarthost.

Are all the boxes configured with domain whizzird.net

> When I send
> mail to a local account, I get an error from the smarthost server saying that
> the address user@box.whizzird.net can't be found. But when I add the
> @whizzird.net to the address it works fine. These boxes are running the sendmail

So the problem is that sendmail is adding the machine name, instead of
just using whizzird.net right ?

> from testing (the one from stable stopped working on me).
> I tried to use the sendmail address rewriting mini-HOWTO's advice to allow it
> to send local mail, but the sendmail I have doesn't like the format of the file
> for some reason. Is there an easy way to send local mail with sendmail?

Define local mail:
  * Mail destined for a user on the same box
  * Mail destined for a user in whizzird.net

The sendmail definition is the former...

--
Rick Nelson
<aph> manoj is going nuts on the bug fixing crusade!  woo woo!