Yet Another X question

I just installed Debian on my system.  Because I wanted a new version of
Window maker, I didn't install an X-window manager.  I compiled Window maker
and all that good jazz.  I ran all the setups,  Now when I login to xdm
(remotely) I get nothing.  when I login locally I get the desktop (whoopie)
so I am figuring I need to edit something in /etc/X11/xdm  but I am not
exactly sure which file and what exactly I put in.  Can anyone help me out
quick?

TIA

Rob