Re: Request for assistance

on Wed, May 09, 2001 at 06:29:50PM -0700, Forrest Cameranesi (forrest@bungie.org) wrote:
> I am sending this message for a friend who is without internet
> access. Please reply to his email address at the bottom and not to
> this address. Thank you,
>

> Dear group,
>
> I would like specific help in building and configuring my home-built computer.
>
> Here is a list of what I have:
>
> A) Debian 2.2
> B) Gnome 1.2.1
> C.1) Supermicro Pentium III
>       Super P6 DGU GX 440 (82443GX) family motherboard
>    2) Using upgraded flash BIOS (R03.0DGU4061 ROM)
>       Original BIOS was super.ROM
> D) Three each, 9.1GB IBM SCSI HDs.
> E) Viewsonic VPA150 Monitor (flat)
> F) 3DLabs Oxgen GVX 210 w/ v1.00 CD
> G) Soundblast Live card
> H) 3Com USR 56K voice/faxmodem
> I) Toshiba OEM 40X SCSI II CD-ROM
> J) Logitech Trackman Marble FX
> K) APC BackUPS 650 (smart power supply)
> L) HP ScanJet 6300C
> M) HP DeskJet 970cxi

I don't see a reference to your SCSI controller.  This is going to make
a difference in configuring things, and may be the biggest single issue
here.

For the rest of your hardware, I'd strongly recommend you do some
targeted Google searches or look at hardware lists.  If your internet
access is so limited this is difficult, have someone do this for you or
hit a more accessible terminal someplace.

> The system is assembled and the hard drives are partitioned. But,
> Debian can't see the drives and I don't have the Debian-compatible
> software drivers for any of the above hardware.

SCSI card info is necessary here.  Review your dmesg output and/or post
here if you can't interpret it.

> I do have the Debian CD and boot floppy. I don't know how to work
> from the command prompt, and so I need help with specific
> instructions that aren't on the Debian GNU Linux X86 V.2.2 CD.

Learn the command prompt.  You're going to be far more effective knowing
a shell than you will be asking for help every five minutes online.

> My goal is to install GNOME, Opera, communcations packages (phone
> answering, webradio, fax etc), a firewall, and a 3-volume (3 HDs)
> stripe set.

Doable.

> The Oxygen GVX 210 Video card has dual monitor support which I will
> use, and the motherboard has two-CPU support which I will use later.
>
> I would like to achieve integration of these components, and move on
> to add DVD, digital camera, and an art pad and firewire support.

Get your system up and bootable first.

> It's a big list, so any help will truely be appreciated!

Cheers.