Re: apt proxy

On Fri, 11 May 2001 09:04:16 John R Lenton wrote:

> apt-get install apt-proxy

Yeah, but it's a pain to configure. You have to find rsync-enabled apt
sources for it and it has a tendency to time out a lot. We tried using it
for a while in work (about 10 debian machines all using apt-proxy) and it
wasn't really suitable as it couldn't be used unattended.

Now what I do is have a bunch of cron jobs on each machine to do "apt-get
update; apt-get -d -y dist-upgrade" in the middle of the night. Then next
time you do a dselect or apt-get, all the required packages will be in
/var/cache/apt. They will also only be pulled down once as they're all
pointing at the same squid.

Martin.