>     /usr/share/perl5
>     /usr/lib/perl/5.6.0
>     /usr/share/perl/5.6.0
>     /usr/local/lib/site_perl
>     /usr/lib/perl5/5.6/i386-linux
>     /usr/lib/perl5/5.6
>     /usr/lib/perl5/5.005/i386-linux

hey joey.  thanks for the response.

okay, i reconfigured, recompiled and reinstalled perl using the
- -Dotherlibdirs option.  my @INC now include:

/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i686-linux
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i686-linux
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.6.0
/usr/local/share/perl/5.6.0
/usr/lib/perl5
/usr/share/perl5
/usr/lib/perl/5.6.0
/usr/share/perl/5.6.0
/usr/local/lib/site_perl
/usr/lib/perl5/5.6
/usr/lib/perl5/5.005/i386-linux
.

which is basically a combination of 5.6 and 5.6.1 libs.  however, apt-get
still bombs on failed compiles on Base.pm.  following is the abbreviated
results.  i've looked at Base.pm, particularly lines 14 - 24 and it
looks alright to me (although i admit that i'm probably not the best
judge of perfect code).

do i just need to uninstall 5.6.1 and revert back to 5.6?

# apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages have been kept back
  blt-dev bsdgames communicator debian-policy libpam-modules
task-database-pg task-devel-common tktable tktable-dev
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 9  not upgraded.
3 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
debconf: Perl may be unconfigured (Can't modify goto in lvalue
subroutine
return at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Base.pm line 24, near "}"
	...propagated at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/base.pm line 62.
- --
 ____) ,_)
(
| mailto : steve@exitwound.org                  |
| linux  : http://exitwound.org                 |
| mozart : http://mozart.sourceforge.net        |
| buck   : http://www.BuckOwensFan.com          |
| Intellect annuls Fate. So far as a man        |
| thinks, he is free. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson    |