Re: new to linux, trying to get netscape to work

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 04:46:13PM -0400, Peter Christensen wrote:
> I'm so frustrated with Windows frequently "freezing up" that I'd really
> like to get Linux to work on my machine.  I bought a release of Debian
> about two years ago from Cheap*Bytes.  The disks say that it's release
> 2.1, though when I was installing it I noticed a message that seemed to
> imply that I had Debian 2.0.34.  (But I don't remember the exact
> message, unfortunately.)  I ended up not using Linux back then because I
> had a "Winmodem" on my machine.  Now that I have an external USRobotics
> modem I'm trying Linux again.

2.0.34 more than likely refers to the kernel your running.  Sounds like
your using Debian 2.1.  Stable is now 2.2 running a kernel 2.2.xx.

> The installation went fine, and I was able to dial my ISP using "PON"
> In the windows manager FVWM95 there's a button on the taskbar for
> Netscape.  Nothing happened when I clicked on it.  This also happened
> for the Files, Editor, and Xview buttons.  But the Xterm, Xcalc, Kill,
> and Ghostview buttons do work.
>
> I installed Netscape from my Netscape 4.75 CD, using the instructions
> that came with the CD.  (copy the .tar file, issue the tar -xvf command,
> then run ns-install.)  I assume everything went OK since there were no
> error messages.  But I still couldn't start Netscape!

How are you trying to start it?  If your using one of the buttons in
your window manager, it might not be mapped to the executable.  Try
starting Netscape from the command line if you haven't -
$ netscape

> Where did I go wrong?  Was it a mistake to buy Debian from Cheap*Bytes?
> Do I just need a newer release?  Is Netscape normally included with the
> Debian release?

You should upgrade to the latest stable release, 2.2 (Potato).  I don't
know if it would be more pertinent to upgrade onto your existing setup
or just install from scratch.  It has been too long for me to remember.
I usually just reinstall instead of "dist-upgrade"  Once you are running
Potato you can install Netscape with "apt-get"
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted