Re: IDE raid - which is better ?

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 01:36:35PM -0400, Paul McHale wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am putting together a workstation which will have raid.  I found the
> following vendors which have ide raid controllers:
>
> www.promise.com  (fastrack100)
> www.3ware.com    (escalade 3w-6200)
>
> I will be doing raid 0 (striping) strictly for performance.  Does anyone
> have experience with these cards or any other cards?  Any
> recommendations/comments welcome.

I've been looking into this stuff for a while, and have found that the
fasttrack100 cards have timing problems under linux so I would not
recommend these. I'm quite encouraged by 3ware's linux drivers: they
support many more distributions than promise and seem to have a better
commitment to linux. Thus although I've not used them, I'd be tempted
to go for the 3ware cards.

Matthew

--

Matthew Sackman