aty-fb and ati X4-driver - hard choice

Hi all,

I have a problem with my textmode-framebuffer and xfree4-ati-driver. I'm
running my textmode with 1024x768 resolution with the aty-framebuffer
kernel support. This works very fine - as long as my X-Server uses the
vesa-server which works nice but prevents me from whatching mpeg's (no
xv-support i think). When using the ati-driver from XFree4 the textmode
shows strange things in the last line while scrolling. Did someone have
a similiar experience? I see 3 ways out:
(oh, and I'm runnung woody)

o Kernel-update (running self compiled 2.2.17, no idea if it helps)
o Disable textmode framebuffer (very sad, it looks so nice)
o Switch back to vesa driver and loose video (very sad too)

One hint which doesn't help me is the follofing line from X-Server
Startup:
<<<<<
XFree86 Version 4.0.2 / X Window System
[...]
(WW) ATI(0): Cannot shadow an accelerated frame buffer.
<<<<<

which is the only warning/error in the Logfile.

Anyone able to help?

tia,
Karsten
--