php-sessions not working??

hello!
i am trying to set up some php sessions, using latest unstable debian.
Strangely the sessions do not work on one of my machines.... all
machines are upgraded at the same time and have cloned config files
concerning apache, php and postgres.

On the machine where i want ot install the proggy i developed on my
laptop, the sessions simply do not work...
on connection the session cookie is send, and the file in the /tmp dir
is created, but inversely to my laptop, in the session files are only
the var names, but no values......

so if someone has an idea on what may going wrong...
--
ciao bboett
bboett@earthling.net