booting 2.4.4

Hi,

I was using kernel 2.4.3 without any problems, but kernel 2.4.4 refuses to
boot. I do not think that my kernel Configuration is wrong.

There was a Thread "trouble booting 2.4.4" some days ago, which suggested to
put:
do_initrd = Yes in "/etc/kernel-img.conf"
and
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.4 in "/etc/lilo.conf"

My Custom made kernel.deb did not make a /boot/initrdxxx file, so I did it
myshelf with:
mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd-2.4.4-686  /lib/modules/2.4.4

But no success, it refuses to boot and basically tells me that it can not
find my /root partiton, but a "root=..." line is included in lilo.conf.

So what can I do in order to boot kernel 2.4.4 ?
And where can I find information about such dramatic changes concerning the
boot process (In advance) ?
The (kernel) Changes file did not mention anything.

Versions of packages (possibly) related to the problem:

||/ Name                 Version
+++-===================
ii  kernel-package       7.40
ii  modutils             2.4.2-0.bunk