Re: Video Drivers

on Mon, May 07, 2001 at 09:48:42PM -0700, Jim Darrough (jed@clipper.net) wrote:
> Hello.
>
>          I have and S3 Virge card (Diamond Stealth 2000) and would like to
> know how to install the proper XF86 server/driver. And where I can locate
> it with apt-get.

For XFree86v4, I believe there's just the one driver.

For v3, your options are either the SVGA or S3V drivers.  I've got an
older ViRGE VX S3 card on my desktop.  Though the XFree86 docs say I
should use the SVGA driver, I found some years ago that doing so would
lock my system hard on the second initiation of X.  That is, running two
simultaneous displays, or running one display, terminating it, then
starting another X session, would freeze the system.  Weird bug.  I'd
posted it to comp.os.linux.* many moons back.  Got a trickle of