From: hammack
Sent: Saturday, May 05, 2001 11:00 PM
Subject: Can't Connect to ISP

I've RTFMs.  Running Debian 2.2.18.  Here are the applicable conf files.  I think??  It looks like it's not getting the "ppp" as an option after the password.   TIA  John

host.conf file
order hosts,
bind multi on
resolv.conf
search mail@ridgenet.net
nameserver 199.120.150.1
wvdial.conf file
[Dialer Defaults]
device=/dev/modem
init=atz
speed=115200
username=hammack
password=my_paswrd
phone=375-0771
wvdail messages

--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.41

--> Initializing modem.

--> Sending: ATZ

ATZ

OK

--> Modem initialized.

--> Sending: ATDT 375-0771

--> Waiting for carrier.

ATDT 375-0771

CONNECT 24000 V42bis

--> Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt.

Welcome to RidgeNet.

RidgeNet username:

RidgeNet username:

RidgeNet username:

--> Looks like a login prompt.

--> Sending: hammack

hammack

Password:

--> Looks like a password prompt.

--> Sending: (password)

*** Welcome to RidgeNet ***

Please enter an option:

Enter owens to connect to owens.

Enter ppp to start a ppp session.

Enter slip to start a slip session.

Enter cslip to start a cslip session.

Enter quit to leave.

--> Don't know what to do! Starting pppd and hoping for the best.

--> Unable to run /usr/sbin/pppd.

--> Check permissions, or specify a "PPPD Path" option in wvdial.conf.

--> Don't know what to do! Starting pppd and hoping for the best.

--> Unable to run /usr/sbin/pppd.

--> Disconnecting at Sat May 5 21:12:41 2001