Question for gurus of mutt / scripting

It would be really nice to be able to keep the debian-user list a little
smaller and up to date on my system.  How could I make mutt move old
threads that have not had a reply in say 5 days into a gzipped file?
This way I could have an archive of everything but my debian-user file
will remain up to date.

Maybe it would be easier to write a script to do this?  I am sure most
of you on this list have the same problem with information overload
especially on active lists.  How do you guys handle this?

Thanks.

Mark.