LS120 drive

   Date:
       Mon, 07 May 2001 05:44:35 -0400
  From:
       "Andrew Hagen" <xah@myrealbox.com>
    To:
       "debian-user@lists.debian.org"
<debian-user@lists.debian.org>,
       "Sebastiaan" <sebastia@ch.twi.tudelft.nl>
>From a Google search, the document at this URI

<http://www.cmbi.kun.nl/swift/johnny/sys/ls120-linux.html>

indicates that as early as kernels 2.0 something there was support
for
running an IDE LS-120 as an a: drive. The Linux hardware database
entry
at
========================
At least one fairly new distribution (I forget which) assumes that
if /dev/hdc is an ls-120 that you want it mounted on /floppy, and
that you do not want to use your /dev/fd0 floppy drive if you have
one. No problem, just edit /etc/fstab.
Perhaps it would be easier to copy the raw disk images (dd --help)
to your hard disk and eat them there (or don't process them at
all) rather than to concern yourself with what program can read
the format of the floppies in the drive. Using /dev/fd0 and
/dev/fd1 and /dev/hdc you might be able to copy those floppies at
a pretty good rate. Write a script to automate and run it in
different shells for each device, so everything can grind at once.
In W$ the ls120 must(?) be /dev/hdc. I don't know whether there
would be a problem operating another in linux as /dev/hdb, but I
think you would have no trouble at all. That way hopefully you
could copy four floppies at once. (I think you want your harddrive
as /dev/hda and your cdrom as /dev/hdd.)
--
     DaveA (Debian User)=====================
       The journey of a thousand miles begins