Re: Question About Debian

on Mon, May 07, 2001 at 01:51:27PM +0300, Suat Secgin (ogun58@hotmail.com) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am from Turkey and working for a leading communication company in
> Turkey as a Chief Engineer. I am inexperienced in using Debian.

Sounds as if you're new to Unix as well.  I'd strongly recommend
training or some basic introductory manuals if you or your employer can
provide same.

I'd strongly recommend poking through the documentation section of the
Debian website.  Things could be better organized, but there's some good
material there:

    http://www.debian.org/doc/ddp

> I had some difficulties of working with debian. I explored the site of
> debian.org.

> When booting debian, at the end of booting process i get an error
> message that is "Checking for valid XFree86 server
> configuration...file not found. Not starting X display manager".

X is the graphics display subsystem of GNU/Linux.  It's not necessary to
run X on a GNU/Linux box, and it may be preferable *not* to run X on
servers.

Sounds as if you don't have X configured yet.  You'll want to install
the base and client packages, and a window manager.  You may want an X
display manager, but are better off without it initially.  You'll need
to match your X server to your hardware if you're using a 3.3.x version
of XFree86.  The 4.x X server comes in one version for all hardware.

If you've already installed the X server, you should be able to
reconfigure it with, e.g.: :

    $ dpkg --reconfigure xserver-xfree86

> Additionally, would you like to give me some information about how i
> can configure debian's proxy and mail server. Can i configure all of
> these daemons by using X Window system.

Which proxy server?

If you're using exim as a mail server, the configuration's pretty
straightforward.  If you're having problems, post with specific details
about the package, error messages, or areas you're unclear on.

> Is X window system is as efficient as in Microsoft Windows series
> GUI's.. Can you lead me to How  i can obtain all of these information.

For high-end performance (read:  games), X may lag very slightly over a
Legacy MS Windows GUI, but for virtually all tasks there's no
difference, and several significant advantages, including flexibility,
encapsulation from the OS, network portability, and cross-platform
capabilities.  You also have a wide range of available desktops, my
preference being WindowMaker, other popular options including GNOME,
KDE, and fvwm, to name a few.

> And How can i start X window system.

    $ startx

...should do it.

    $ man startx

...for more information.  If you've got everything running smoothly, you
can install an X display manager:  xdm, wdm, gdm, kdm, etc., which will
start X automatically at boot time.  This is pleasent but unnecessary,
and can lead to problems.

Cheers.