Re: [off topic] about terminology

on Sun, May 06, 2001 at 03:12:30PM -0800, Ethan Benson (erbenson@alaska.net) wrote:
> On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 12:39:59AM +0100, raphael calvelli wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I hope this question is not too much off topic, but this looks a good
> > place to ask it:
> >
> > - "free software" is confusing because "free" is "freedom" and "zero
> > costing" together;
>
> only in the broken english language. i think most others have more
> distinction between freedom and cost.
>
> > - "open source" is also confusing because of the slight differences
> > between GPL and just Open source softwares;
>
> some licences other then the GPL are considered Free Software licences.
> the problem with `Open Source' is it waters down the philisophical
> issue of freedom.  `OpenSource' has also accepted licences which
> cannot be considered Free (Apple's).

Not AFAIK.  Which Apple license?  The Open Source Initiative approved
licenses list doesn't include it, and I know its status has been
discussed on the license-discuss list within the past few months (I'm
reviewing the posts now).  It appears as if both the public disclosure
and private use portions of the license violate OSD.

    http://www.opensource.org/licenses/index.html

> > So, what about use of the term "libre software" ? It is already
> > working in italian "libero", french "libre" and spanish "libre".
>
> in fact the Free Software Foundation recommends that the native terms
> be used in different locales, so when dealing with the french one
> should use `libre software'.  english speakers are doomed to be
> confused, so they simply have to educated.

Pointer?