Re: a printer for Linux

Okay, here's my two cents on this topic.

Some printer are easier to get working under Linux than others. PostScript printers should be very easy to get working, as the Linux/UNIX world pretty much has standardized on PostScript. If you get a non-PostScript printer, you need software on your system to convert from PostScript to whatever your printer wants. Once it is set up you won't need to worry about it; printing should just work. So as long as your computer is decently fast, it shouldn't be a problem to use a non-PostScript printer, as long as it has decent support under Linux.

Definitely check out LinuxPrinting.org for suggested printers.

http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html

Now, on the inkjet vs. laser issue: you can be very happy with a good inkjet printer. I am a huge fan of the HP inkjet printers (and I'm eagerly waiting for drivers as good as the ones for Windows). Good inkjet printers, as a rule, cost less than good laser printers, so if cost is an issue, consider an inkjet. Cost per page is lower for a laser printer, so if you will be printing huge numbers of pages, you will want a laser printer. (If you plan to use your printer to publish your poetry, that may qualify as huge numbers of pages. However, you might do better to print your poetry once and take it someplace like Kinko's for mass duplication; you will probably save a little money on each page, and you will save wear-and-tear on your printer.)

A key point: the cost per page is lower for laser printers, but a replacement toner cartridge is expensive. (You get many many pages per cartridge, so it's cheaper if you print many pages.) I like to buy spares of anything that can run out, so I figure one spare cartridge in as part of the initical purchase price.

To get specific, let's compare two printers from buy.com, one inkjet and one laser.

HP DeskJet 930C: $140
blak ink cartridge for 930C printer: $26
total: $166

http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10239431
http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10009942

Lexmark Optra E312L: $298
toner cartridge for E312L: $111
total: $409

http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10256304
http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10251103

Since the 930C is capable of printing in color, and I don't print a large number of pages, it is a better choice for me.

Note that the inkjet prints in 600dpi, while the laser prints in 1200dpi; the laser is four times the resolution (twice for width and twice for height). If you want your poetry to look extra sharp, you may well want the 1200dpi.

Good luck with your printer and your poetry.