"boot" diskette

What is the easiest way to make a boot diskette to install on a computer
that is an ancient dinosaur that doesn't allow you to boot off of the CD?  I
know RH had one, and I tried the Debian boot diskettes, but the one image it
said was too big to fit onto a floppy.  Did I do this wrong? (one
possibility)  or is there another way to go about it.  This computer isn't
very big, so I like Debian nice small install instead of RH's bloatware

thanks

Rob