Monitor powerdown on idle

Hello all,
I have a question about getting the monitor to properly powerdown when idle.  Right now the box shuts off the display, but the monitor still has a backlight on, and the light is green, indicating it's still getting feed from the video card.  What I would lie to do is have the monitor completely go black when idle, as I think that if I keep running it as is, I'm going to end up prematurely frying the poor thing.  I'm running Woody on a 2.4.2 kernel, and I have APM enabled in the kernel.  It's a Viewsonic monitor that has the usual array of power saving features, and a Rage 128 video card.  I assume I have to add a line to lilo.conf, but I'm not sure that this is the best way, or the syntax for doing so.

Thanks,
Steve