RE: Example of "date" sytax to return a date in the past?

On 04-May-2001 Stan Brown wrote:
> I know thta it's possible to sue the GNU version of date, as provided with
> Debian to return a dat, say 30 minutes in the past.
>
> However I can't seem to get the syntax quie correct. From the man page,
> it's apparent that I need the --date option, but what is the "STRING"
> fomrat?

as much as I hate it, the info page has much more detailed info and examples.
Basically, any of the output formats can also be input formats.

$ date --date='9:20pm'
Fri May  4 21:20:00 PDT 2001
$ date --date='30 min ago'
Fri May  4 08:52:49 PDT 2001
$ date --date='yesterday'
Thu May  3 09:23:13 PDT 2001
$ date --date='2 years ago'
Tue May  4 09:24:07 PDT 1999

etc.

P.S. if the gnu info browser gives you the heebie jeebies, try using pinfo --
works like lynx.