Re: #pound-sign files# what are they?

Tom Schuetz <ts22548@mail.cybernetisp.net> writes:

> I notice that when I stop a process, I sometimes get a file from it
> like this: #foo.txt# or #.foo.

The #file# are Emacs autosave files.  They appear when you are editing
a file and haven't saved yet.  They're deleted when you save or kill
the buffer.  (If you just kill Emacs, they're left so you can recover
the files.)

The .#files are lock files, indicating that you're editing a file.  If
you've stopped editing it, and the lock file is still there, it's safe
to delete.

Nobody ever ruined their eyesight by looking at the bright side of something.