Re: Weird apt error

Tiarnan O Corrain wrote:

> Hello all--
>
> I'm getting a really odd error with a debian box I administer. Apt
> seems to be broken, or at least missing some serious files. Any advice
> would be most welcome.
>
>         crhist95:~# apt-get remove gdm
>         Reading Package Lists... Error!
>         E: Unable to write mmap - msync (5 Input/output error)
>         E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Hi,

I don't think this has anything to do with apt.

>From msync man page :

"msync  flushes  changes made to the in-core copy of a file that was
mapped into memory using mmap(2)  back  to  disk."

So i think you should check your hard drive, seems like it's has
bad blocks.

try dd if=/dev/yourharddrive of=/dev/null

If you have some errors , you hard drive is most likely to have bad
blocks.

Thanks,

Philippe