/usr/src is empty

Feeling rather silly, but I don't seem to have anything in this directory. I was trying to compile the drivers for a Linksys 10/100 PCI card, and it couldn't find various files. I checked, and discovered that nothing is in there.

FWIW, I gave up and installed a 3COM card.

Still, I need to sort out the missing source files problem, as I'd like to try mucking about with the kernel. I'm somewhat experienced at USING Linux (as opposed to configuring), but I've never had this problem. In the past with other distributions everything seems to be there. I'm sure this is an obvious issue for some of you, but I'm rather stumped. Yes, /usr/src is EMPTY.

I've got potato and 2.2.19. Any advice? Most of my linux experience is with OLD versions of MkLinux, and some various BSD thrown in. Now I'm trying to re-enter the 21st century, and things seem to have changed.:-)

I need to get this going so I can IPMASQ and kill the Win2K NAT box (Please, please don't ask. We all do things we're ashamed of.)

Thanks for your patience.  I'm assuming I screwed up somewhere in the install.

John
"All warfare is based on deception."
	--Sun Tzu

johnwilley@yahoo.com