SCSI(boot)drive + Extra EIDE Drive?

Hi:

I have a computer which boots off an Adaptec Ultra SCSI hard drive
1.2 G and I have another SCSI which I put later as a slave (4 gigs).
I was trying to add an EIDE (30 GIG) hard drive but I am unable to get
either the Bios or Linux to recognize it. EZ drive complains about
not having  an ide drive at 80H either because of a SCSI drive or bad
bios entries. I pulled out the ScSI card , but this did not make a
difference.

I thought Linux was independent of the bios. ( I am using Slink, Linux
2.2.17) WHen I fdisk, it says it is unable to read /dev/hda. I tried
putting hda=16383,16,63 in linux.conf but there was no change.

The EIDE is a Western Digital Drive, and I read the FAQ in the western
Digital site, and they give the impression that you can have both
a SCSI and an drive together, though they treat only the case where
the boot drive is an ide drive. I'd rather avoid this configuration.

The computer has an award bios (1996).

Is the drive faulty? What else should I try?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sebastian.
--
Sebastian Canagaratna