Re: Configuring gnus

Johann Spies <jhspies@adept.co.za> writes:

> I have decided to try out gnus again.

I wouldn't be surprised if you'll like it ;-)

>    how do I handle the situation where I am offline and want to read
>    mail or news?

Search info Gnus for the words 'agent' or 'unplugged'.  You don't need
the agent for reading *mail* offline, but you do for news.

> 4 Is there any interaction available with a database like lbdbq like
>   Mutt?

I don't know lbdbq.  But maybe BBDB (which works very well with Gnus)
could be the thing you are looking for.

> 6. My request: I would appreciate examples of the .gnus-file. I could
>    not find any in the documentation.

I don't think that would help you much, but might be rather confusing.
Just start with as little as possible in .gnus.el.  Gnus must know,
where to get news and mail, in what form you want to store your mail
('mail backend') and how you want it to be split in mail groups.
That's about all you need to start and is described very well in info.

Robert Epprecht.