Re: email options

On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 05:32:54PM +0100, john gennard wrote:
<snip>
> There's just a stand-alone box (with Slink & Potato) - I dial an ISP
> when I feel like it and get mail from lists and very little personal
> mail. Little in the manuals seems needed, but there's a mass of
> detail to wade through.
>
> Its seems I need:-
>
> a. ppp -should be ok there.
> b. something to fetch mail - should be ok with fetchmail.
> c. a program to filter the incoming mail - procmail may do me, and as
> 	I've some info on rules syntax, I have hopes - but what is
> 	'formail' should be with procmail but I can't find it.
> d. a 'reader and composer'  - will try mutt, but shall struggle there.
> e. an MTA to send my outgoing stuff - I'll try sSMTp which is
> 	supposed to be 'minimalistic' - that seems true, very few
> 	options. Can't work out how it will know how to send mail.
> f. Initially, I'll leave junkbuster, pgp, ssh etc for the time being.
>
> Anyone kind enough to let me know if I'm on the right road? I know
> some of the apparently popular alternatives ( I can install exim but
> feel I'll need a higher degree in martian magic to configure either
> it or sendmail). A brief explanation of how the various programs are
> aware of each other, would also clear some of the fog.

You pretty much have it.  First I would set up your MTA.  Don't know
about sSMTp but I've set up both exim and sendmail and it wasn't that
hard.  Both have config scripts: eximconfig and senmailconfig IIRC.
Configure which ever one you choose to use your isp as a smarthost.

Once you have that done fire up mutt and see if it can find the directory
it's looking for and send a mail to your isp.

Then when you can send mail fine, configure fetchmail to grab your mail
from you isp.  Test this and when all is working create your mail boxes and
set up procmail "formail" is part of the procmail package.  There is a
manpage for it.

This will take you a while to get set up and feel comfortable with but
well worth it:)
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted