Re: How to upgrade?

On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 02:07:32PM +0600, V.Suresh wrote:

> Currently, I am in potato. If I want to upgrade the whole system
> to woody or r3, WHat should i put in my sources.list file?
> and what options should I give to apt-get?
>   Also, is woody and 2.2r3 both same? Or, if different, please briefly
>   explain.

woody is the the testing distribution and will eventually become the
stable distribution.  2.2r3 is a revision (mainly security fixes) for
the present stable distribution, potato.  Details are in the `news'
section on www.debian.org.

To upgrade to 2.2r3 leave your sources.list pointing to potato and do

apt-get update
apt-get -u dist-upgrade

For woody change your sources.list to replace `potato' with `woody' and
issue the same apt-get commands.

If you simply want the benefits of a more secure, stable system 2.2r3 is
the best option.

Brian.