Re: Debian on 386SX/3MB

On Fri, Apr 27, 2001, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Indraneel Majumdar wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Can anyone please tell me whether it is possible to install Debian on a
> > 386SX with 3MB RAM. I tried to install using the potato floppies but it
> > starts to load the compressed ramdisk from the root floppy and then
> > simply hangs. No furthur output. The floppies are OK and work fine on
> > other systems with more RAM.
>
> I believe the stated minimum for installation is 8MB.
> It's probably not going to be possible to perform an
> installation with only 3MB.
>
> Take care,
>
> Zonker
> --

Hi,

When I did a recent install of Potato on my oldest PC (Compaq 386s/20,
finally freed from MS subordination :) ), the initial install help
screen said that minimum specs for RAM with potato were now 12Mb,
IIRC, although they used to be lower.  I played around with the
install, my computer faithfully and mightily struggled, and it finally
managed to install a complete Linux environment (minus X but with
development stuff) in 8Mb.  Indraneel, you might want to see if you
can cheaply put old FPM or EDO memory in the system to expand it a
little (it'll probably go above 3Mb) and you can find modules for
generally $5 per 4Mb.

Hope this helps and take care,

Daniel

--
Daniel A. Freedman
Laboratory for Atomic and Solid State Physics