Re: cant get grip to rip (SOLVED)

> Apparently it was a permissions problem with /dev/sg0.
> Not sure what that device is used for, because my cd is on /dev/scd0, but
> after I fixed permissions, grip worked just fine.

i'm pretty sure /dev/sg* are the generic scsi devices.  if your cd
writer is ide/atapi, then you're probably using the sg (scsi generic)
driver along with ide-scsi and scsi_mod to emulate your ide/atapi drive
as a scsi drive so cdrecord can use it, in which case you do need
read/write access to /dev/sg* in addition to /dev/scd* (scsi cdrom).  i
don't know the specifics of this, but i believe there's some funky magic
going on behind the scenes where /dev/scd* uses /dev/sg* as the scsi
driver for a "virtual" scsi card to access the cdrom, and you use
ide-scsi to emulate the ide drive as a scsi drive so that it can be
accessed via the generic scsi driver.  do `cdrecord -scanbus` then run
`lsmod` and you should see a bunch of scsi-related modules (if you
didn't compile them into the kernel).

/ben

--
|_    |_ | _  _ |_   PGP public key: http://www.wilykit.com/wilykit.key
|_) . |_)|(_|(_ |\          "Never rub another man's rhubarb." -- Joker