Re: Compiling package from "testing" for potato

Mark  <mdevin@ozemail.com.au> writes:
Mark> However, the last few lines of output when compiling the .deb seem a
Mark> little worrying:dpkg-deb:
Mark> ----------------------------------------------------
Mark> building package `hotplug' in `../hotplug_0.0.20010228-3_all.deb'.
Mark> dpkg-genchanges -b
Mark> dpkg-genchanges: binary-only upload - not including any source code
Mark> dpkg-buildpackage: no source included in upload
Mark> ----------------------------------------------------
Mark>
Mark> Does this indicate an error?  Does anyone know what this means about
Mark> "binary-only" and "no source included"?

The Debian package-building tools tend to work on the assumption that
you are the Debian maintainer of a particular package, and that you
intend to upload the package to the Debian archives.  These messages
are saying that that upload, were it to happen, would consist only of
the newly built binary package; you wouldn't upload the (unchanged)
source code.  In your case, this is just fine.

Mark> Also, another question; when I issued the command: apt-get
Mark> source --build hotplug, it put all the source files and compiled
Mark> .deb in the current directory.  Should I have made a directory
Mark> /usr/local/src/hotplug and cd'ed to it before issuing this
Mark> command?  Is this where you should keep these source packages in
Mark> a traditional debian layout?

I don't think there's any sort of "traditional Debian layout" for this
sort of thing at all.  Packages I build locally (mostly kernel source)
wind up in /usr/local/src; packages I maintain tend to live in
/u/dmaze/src (in my home directory in a private AFS cell).  Kernel
modules unpack their source under /usr/src/modules; AFAIK this and the
stock kernel-source packages are the only source-related things that
have relatively fixed locations.

	-- Abra Mitchell