Re: Compiling package from "testing" for potato

Mark <mdevin@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>However, the last few lines of output when compiling the .deb seem a
>little worrying:dpkg-deb:
>building package `hotplug' in `../hotplug_0.0.20010228-3_all.deb'.
>dpkg-genchanges -b
>dpkg-genchanges: binary-only upload - not including any source code
>dpkg-buildpackage: no source included in upload
>
>Does this indicate an error?  Does anyone know what this means about
>"binary-only" and "no source included"?
>
>I thought this compiled it from source???????  I don't understand,
>please someone enlighten me.

You can ignore it. Those messages are for maintainers uploading things
to the Debian archive, and means that the build only produced new binary
packages and didn't change the source. It's not an error.

>Also, another question;  when I issued the command:  apt-get source
>--build hotplug, it put all the source files and compiled .deb in the
>current directory.  Should I have made a directory
>/usr/local/src/hotplug and cd'ed to it before issuing this command?  Is
>this where you should keep these source packages in a traditional debian
>layout?

I don't know if there is a traditional Debian layout. :) I have
~/src/debian/<package>/... for each of my own packages, and
~/src/packages/<package>/... for other people's packages; in some ways
this doesn't make a lot of sense, but it sort of grew that way and I've
got used to it. It should probably be in your home directory, though, as
you can and should build almost all packages as an ordinary non-root
user, provided that you have fakeroot installed.

Cheers,