Problem with SBLive Platinum 5.1

Hi,

I just wanted to ask if anyone has gotten a SoundBlaster Live Platinum
5.1 to work with the kernel drivers (emu10k1) with 2.2.19 or 2.4.3? I
have checked all the documentation I saw as relevant and still can't
find what's wrong.

The problem is mainly that I get no error messages so I don't know
where to start unraveling this mystery... ;)

A short run down:

SBLive Platinum 5.1 (configured by kernel PnP to IRQ=3 IO=9400)
Kernels are unpatched 2.2.19 and 2.4.3 from kernel.org
Sound support is configured as modules with support for emu10k1
Modules load complaining about not finding sound-slot-0 and
sound-service-0-6 (that's sndstat isn't it?). I fixed this by adding

alias sound-slot-0 emu10k1
alias sound-service-0-6 emu10k1

to /etc/modutils/sound which also contains

alias char-major-14 emu10k1

Still, when  I try to cat /dev/sndstat I get

cat: /dev/sndstat: No such device

Some documents (including "Introduction" in the kernel tree) suggest
that i need both sound and soundcore modules but I only get a
soundcore module (actually I tried enabling OSS support to get the
sound module but emu10k1 does not seem to use it and it didn't get my
sound working so I'm assuming it isn't needed)

I'd be happy to get some pointers to what's wrong or what I'm to daft
to comprehend.

        /Anton
--
A priest advised Voltaire on his death bed to renounce the devil.
Replied Voltaire, "This is no time to make new enemies."