Re: Implications of using kernel 2.4

	Subject: Implications of using kernel 2.4
	Date: Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 03:32:28PM -0400

Quoting Cheng(cptbastard@evilemail.com):
> I am a relatively new Linux user. I've used RedHat and Slackware before and now I'm switching to Debian. My questions is about the possible problems I may face if I install kernel 2.4 as well as the advantages it'd might have.
>
> First, I'm used to installing distro off of bootable CDs. So Instead of getting the lastst version 2.2r3, I downloaded the ISO for 2.2r2 and burned those. I plan to install the security pkgs seperately later. I can't seem to find the ISOs for 2.2r3 and I'm not sure how I can install the distro from FTP download, since not everything will fit on one CD.
>
> Second, I'd like to install the 2.4 kernel due to some of the advantages I've heard about it, such as Athlon optimization, more efficient threads, and memory detection. But from what I've read on the site, it'd appears that it would not be a good idea to install the 2.4 kernel with the 2.2r2 distro. It kinda scares me that I have to install packages compiled from an unstable release.
>
> I'm using my box to mainly store Java source code and act as a file server for my home lan. If I ever feel confident enough, I'd also like to run a mail server from it. To me stability is more important than speed. And I'd appreciate some guidence as to what I should do/study before I go ahead and dump my redhat 7.0 distro for Debian.

I am in the process of finishing up a 2.2r3 install on a new Athlon
Thunderbird system.  The only problems I have encountered are with the
devices (Network, sound, Display) all being part of the MB chipset.  I
installed potato 2.2 off of a bootable CD and used apt to upgrade to r3 via
the lan.  I had to upgrade to the 2.4.3 kernel on the Athlon to be
able to get the SiS900 network driver.  I didn't use the Deb kernel
package, just the tarball.  I have _not_ used any of the unstable tree
as of yet.  I might have to for X as the stable version doesn't
support the SiS 6300.

System is running great, as is, and is quite stable.  I am spoiled by
the 1 Gig processor.  I haven't seen a less then 2 minute kernel
compile before.  My best was around 5 minutes with a 2.0.? kernel a
long time ago.

Current uptime is only 8 days. I say go for the 2.4.3 kernel.  I have
it running on 2 systems now without any problems at all.

Wayne
--
I hit the CTRL key but I'm still not in control!