Re: Few more questions

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 16:12:15 nikolai.hlubek@mailbox.tu-dresden.de wrote:

Here's answers to a few...

> 1.) X11 and Gpm bite over the mouse.
> To use the mouse under X11 I have to turn Gpm off.

Have gpm repeat as ms3 and tell X to use an intellimouse protocol mouse on
/dev/gpmdata.

> 5.) I have a Cd-RW and want to use it for backups.
> What is the recommended way?

CD-RW's aren't really the recommended ways for doing backups. There
probably aren't any packages for it, so you're probably going to have to
write up a bunch of scripts.

Do you want incremental or full backups?

Full is easy, just use mkisofs and cdrecord to write the CD(s).

Incremental is a bit trickier. The first thing you'll want to do is write
a script that uses find with the mtime parameter to find files that have
been modified since the last backup.

Then if you want to write a second session to the cd, you'll have to get
the multisession info from cdrecord with the cd in the drive and pass the
offset to mkisofs. Then write the iso using cdrecord with appropriate
multisession parameters. The CD-Writing HOWTO will help you out with the
details as there's a bit too much to go into in an email.

> 7.) To connect to the Internet via DSL I use the command:
> pppd call provider --- as root!!
> Is there a better way?

Yep, just use pon for a start (as that does exactly the same thing) - use
poff to go offline. Add any users that you wish to be able to dial up to
the dip/dialout groups and they should be able to use pon.

pppd has to run with elevated permissions anyway as it needs to mess about
with routing and network interfaces so it's setuid root.

M.