setting up an apt repository

Hi Guys,

a tricky question for you today.

At our company, I administer a network of Unix/Linux machines. Basically,
we're looking at setting up a series of debian machines in many different
locations, providing services to local users.

What we'd like to do, is set up one machine as a debian template, if you
like. We'd like to be able to create other machines from this machine, with a
certain package set, and every time this template machine gets updated with
security patches etc, the rest of the machines should be able to download
those patches from the template machine. I think this can be done somehow
with apt and apt-able package repositories, but I'm not sure of the
specifics. The template machine must be able to handle debian source packages
also.

The machines must be based on a 2.2 kernel, so we're thinking of using potato
as a base, and loading only the packages we need onto this template machine.

can anyone suggest a method by which this can be done, and point me to
relevant URLs or HOWTO's?

kind regards,

Renai

(and keep up the good work developers, there are many grateful linux admins
out here!)