Re: How to remove messages from mbox based on relative date?

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 11:32:05AM +0100, David Wright wrote:
> Quoting Mike Fedyk (mfedyk@matchmail.com):
>
> > I've looked into this, and neither procmail nor formail have any facilities
> > to process mail based on date, unless it's the current date.
> >
> > You could have mail put in a folder 04-2001 for instance, but that is based
> > on the current date and not the date in  the message.  You could probably do
> > some matching on the "date:" header but I don't want to do that.
>
> Your two paragraphs appear to contradict each other.

They're really not.

> If you process email using the Date: header, then you're basing
> your processing on the date it was allegedly sent.
>
> If you process email using the output of the date command, then
> you're basing your processing on the current date.

Not if you tell date to output another date.  You can use gnu date's
relative time functions to find out if you reverse the days by 30 to see if
the months match, and write some wraping function to determine if the day of
the month is within your criteria.

Anyway, I don't want to do that, and
I've already found that with the right commands, mutt will do that for me.

> Obviously the examples in man procmailex concentrate on the latter
> because people use procmail to process their live incoming mail (and
> some of it will have bizarre Date: headers anyway).
>
> OTOH man formail's example uses the Date: header, partly as an excuse
> to warn of the dangers of using the -a switch which writes From_
> lines in what is probably going to be a format that mailers can't grok.

Procmail isn't the right tool for this job.

I was really hoping someone would post about the problems I've been having
with the uidl and pop3 servers from my previous message.  I guess I'll just
have to add more accounts... :(

Mike