glibc compatibility

Hi debian-user readers,

Something I've been wondering for a while, and now I really need to
know: how do glibc versions relate?

I'm running testing, which I believe is based on glibc2.2.  Is this
backwards compatible with glibc2.1?  If a program says it requires 2.1,
should I expect that it will work?

If not, is there anything I can do?  I notice that there is a libc5
package, to support older apps built against libc 5.  Does anything
similar exist for minor versions?

More generally, if I have multiple libc versions installed, how does the
system know which one it should be calling from any given app?   (I
realize that this is probably a fairly big question; a pointer to a web
reference would be appreciated if its easier than answering.)

Thanks very much for your help.

--
David Steinberg
steinber@interchange.ubc.ca