Re: need help configuring hosts.deny

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Sebastiaan wrote:
> I have reason to belive that my computer is used as a relay host for
> spam. Walking through the logs, I found one ip number which has no ip
> name, but it connects the computer every hour or so and sends some mail.

Could you post the log please? It might help a little bit.

> I want to block this address, but I have not succeeded in configuring the
> hosts.deny file correctly. This is what I have:
>
> hosts.allow: empty
> hosts.deny:
> ALL: 1.2.3.4
> ALL: PARANOID
>
> where 1.2.3.4 is the spammers' address. I want to deny him smtp access (or
> all access to this machine).
>
> I tried to do this with my own ip, but I was still able to connect to port
> 25. Telnet access was forbidden however.
>
> I use Postfix as maildaemon.

You can find the Postfix faq here:
http://www.postfix.org/faq.html

It may give you the answer you're looking for. Also, you might want
to track down the ISP for the IP that you believe is using your
box as a relay. This is illegal, and I believe in many states you
can prosecute the spammer, which I heartily encourage you to do.
They are abusing your network and resources, as well as inflicting
unwanted intrusions on a large number of other folks - if you lack
the resources/expertise to track them down, please post the IP to
the list rather than protecting them and allow someone from the list
to do it.

Take care,

Zonker
--