Re: Selective mail download (was Re: Mail client)

Truthfully, I'm not sure - given that I use 2 email systems:

Personal mail: I use fetchmail to pop the mail off the server, and procmail
to filter it into various mailboxes.

Work mail: We have an IMAP server setup - which is (sortof) like doing email
like you would newsgroups - you download a message list, then select which
message to view - that message is then downloaded. You can access the IMAP
server from multiple clients, and always see the same inbox, whether you're
using mutt, netscape, or whatever client you choose.

POP, AFAIK, wasn't really meant to be used on a selective basis (although
you can always tell it not to remove mail from the server) - rather, it was
made to facilitate moving mail between a server and a client (note: i could
be wrong, but that's how I've always perceived it).  IMAP sounds like it
would be better suited to the situation you're in - although I don't know if
it's an option in your case. (some mail servers run both IMAP and POP - some
only one or the other)

If you have IMAP access to your mail, I'd suggest that.  (it seems like the
closest match to what you're looking for) Barring that, you may be able to
set up fetchmail to only download emails under a certain size at home, and
leave everything on the server - so that when you get to work, all the email
would download, including the large ones your home client skipped over.

Of course, it may be possible to do all this with mutt alone (it's extensible
beyond my current understanding ;) ) perhaps someone in a similar setup will
comment.  Otherwise, Google would be a good place to start searching.

-b3