xbanner w/ X4.0 upgrade

Hi,
I recently had to upgrade many packages on my system to
the unstable "Woody" distribution, which included upgrading
to X 4.0, which -- not surprisingly -- broke scads of
things, most of which are now fixed.

The one continuing annoyance is that xbanner is no longer
doing anything!  I suspect this has to do with relocating
the config files or possibly with the xdm configuration
files themselves.  I know there were changes in the
organization of the config files (for X).

I note that xbanner was not upgraded to a new "upstream
version" going to Woody (both Potato and Woody use v1.31),
although the Woody version is a later package release.

I assume this means that xbanner is expected to continue
working -- but it appears that it doesn't.  At least
not without modification or re-configuration.

Has anyone else noticed this?  And what exactly do
I have to do to recover my xbanner setup?

Any help would be appreciated -- I really liked my old
login screen!  And it's so much harder to intimidate
Windows users this way. ;)

--
Terry Hancock
hancock@earthlink.net