Lost focus

I've just started using jikes+kaffe instead of Sun's jdk
and I'm having a problem with focus for keyboard input that
I don't remember with the jdk - too late to check - and that
I don't have with Internet Explorer or Netscape under Win95.

I have fvwm as a window manager, and when I move off the
running applet - it's a sort of mouseless minesweeper thing

	http://jardine.de/keyboard/nmines.html

if you fancy playing minesweeper on the keyboard - to another
pane and then return, or when I iconify and then deiconify it,
it ignores keypresses.  The thing is still running - there's
a timer that updates.

Does anyone know if this is an X thing? An fvwm thing? A kaffe
thing? Or are there things that sloppy programmers write that
are tolerated by some jvms and not others, as happens with html?

Or should I be asking the debian-java list?  (I get the
impression that it's just for debian developers.)

Thanks in advance.

David