Re: 2.4 kernel how good is it?

>>>2) Will i need to re-do my modules? Particularly with the
>>>machine thats got the IDE cd writer i had to do some module
>>>voodoo, that i was uncomfortable with, to make it work. or
>>>will the upgrade handle that kind of thing? (I'm a
>>>cargo-cultist when it comes to modules)
>>
>>Yes...new modules are needed. For IDE CD Writer support you'll need the
ide-scsi
>>(IDE-SCSI emulation support) and sg (Generic SCSI support) modules. That's
all!
>>Then, in your /etc/lilo.conf file, include in the "append" section
>>"hdc=ide-scsi" (replace hdc with the actual location of your CD writer). Also
>>add "sg" and "ide-scsi" to your /etc/modules file to load these modules. It's
>>really not that difficult, or at least it hasn't been for me.
>>

>Ok.. but apt- and debconf won't do this for me?

If you download the precompiled kernel (i.e. not the source), these modules will
be included in the package. However, you still must tell your system what
modules to load (modconf) and then you also need to edit you LILO configuration
to tell it to use SCSI emulation for your CD writer instead of ATAPI
(append="hdc=ide-scsi" in /etc/lilo.conf).

HTH,
Scott