Re: linux crash

Bradley James Reid wrote:

> i've got a problem at boot.
> my debian system crashes.  it's using kernel 2.0.36.
> the error follows the check of the hardware.
> and the error is:
>   unable to open initial console
>
> any help would be great.

Could you state, what you've changed before that error message appeared?

IIRC, this message means that the kernel can't open /dev/console.  It
can mount the root filesystem though, because if not the error message
would be different at least in 2.2.x, don't know about 2.0.x).  Maybe
the root fs is trashed or maybe you've just deleted this file.

Cheers,
Viktor
--
Viktor Rosenfeld