SOLVED - iptables and domain problem...

HOT DOG...

Phil...you solved the problem.....

iptables -I INPUT 1 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

I've been beating my head against the wall for so long that I didn't realize that this command not only stopped reply packets from having to traverse the whole chain, but it would also allow access to replys that were not destined to a specific port.  I feel rather silly now because I KNEW that but didn't put two and two together.

Thank you all for your help.  Jason, Noah, Phil, I really appreciate all your input.  I have never worked on a firewall before this one so my learning curve is quite high!!!  Thanks again!