Re: Drive images

on Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 10:37:58AM -0700, Scott Fraser (sfraser@myra.com) wrote:
> Bill Fowler wrote:
> >
> > I want to replicate my Debian system onto a number of other PCs, not all of
> > which have the same size hard drive.  Is there a good way to make an image
> > of a partition(s) and replicate to other PCs.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Bill Fowler
> >
> Good Morning Bill,
>
> Norton Ghost works nicely for this. Just make sure you make a smaller
> "default" install on the first system. If you don't want to use Ghost,
> the following is a good link taken from the SGI Sys-Admin manual.
>
> http://www.futuretech.vuurwerk.nl/disksfiles.html#CLONE
>
> Just ignore the SGI/Irix specific stuff. The beauty of this is, is it
> allows you to do disk cloning via a network (NFS). Just make sure that
> you have all the permissions and exports set-up correctly. Another
> network capable method would be to use rsync. With rsync you could even
> do it securely (via SSH) to remote systems.
>
> Cheers and hope this helps.
> Scott

Ghost is *not* a solution to use when moving between disks of different
geometries (sizes).

For replicating a Debian package selection, use the dpkg
--get-selections / --set-selections method(s) described above.  For
tranferring other content, tar, cpio, afio, rsync, and related methods
are suggested.  I usually go with plain old tar.

Cheers.