console/kbd packages and default keymaps

Can someone please explain to me which of the console-* and kbd
packages I should and should not be using?  Their web of dependencies
and conflicts is too hard for me to unravel.  I'm running testing
(with a few packages from unstable thrown in).

And after that, how do I set the default keymap?  The file
`/etc/kbd/default.kmap.gz' used to work, but after a recent upgrade is
no longer being read.

Thanks!

\\// | R | T R | L B | //\\ ~ Michael Abraham Shulman
mailto:shulman@caltech.edu  ~ jabber://mas@jabber.org
http://kurukshetra.cjb.net/ ~ GnuPG Public Key #21A279E5

If you want truly to understand something, try to change it.
        -- Kurt Lewin