Re: Can't ssh in as a normal user anymore

* Deirdre Saoirse Moen <deirdre@deirdre.net> [010419 00:27]:
> I rebooted my system today (probably after a few too many things were
> changed) and all of a sudden I can't ssh in as a normal user.

does this mean you *can* ssh as root?  or does it mean you can't ssh in
at all?

> I've got a fairly minimal system, but it seems a strange thing to break
> upon reboot. All I can figure is that some package is in some peculiar
> state (I *was* tracking "testing" for a time).
>
> Any ideas where to look?

i had a similar problem for a while with unstable.  ssh was broken and
wouldn't even start.  check to see if your sshd is running.  if it is, i
would check the sshd_config file.  i'm not sure what dist you are using,
but in debian, it installs in /etc/ssh.  do you log in using passwords
or rsa?  if rsa, i would check your authorized_keys file in ~/.ssh.  i
would also look at /var/log/auth.log to see if you see ssh logins being
rejected.  oh, check hosts.deny and hosts.allow in /etc to see if your
client machine is being filtered.

vinh