Re: debian-user-digest Digest V101 #403

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 03:13:48PM +0200, Duser wrote:
> how do I start up the gnome taskbar (you know, the one with applets
> and a menu and the desktops map...) after I have initialized X?
> Well to tell the truth i need some background on how Gnome works,
> where can I start?

I have this as my .xinitrc:

#!/bin/sh
#
#
Esetroot  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/asclassic/backgrounds/marble.jpg
#
rclock &
emacs -i -T "Local_Emacs" &
Eterm  -s -v --font 8x16 -O --foreground-color navy --title 'Home'  --login-shell &
panel &
exec sawmill

The last two lines are the ones of interest. The second last line
starts the gnome panel (the taskbar), but no other part of gnome. Once
you have that, you can add the desktop pager to it. Start from the
main menu, go to `Panel', then to `Add Applet' then to `Utilities'.

This setup is much faster than the full gnome beast on my machine,
and, in combination with sawmill/sawfish (very light, very flexible,
very configurable), provides an X environment which is fairly simple
and light, but is also useful.

Jim