Re: Help: Gnome and Sound

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Joao Pissarro wrote:

> Thanks for reading this message. I am trying to configure event sounds on the gnome control center,
> but it does not sound anything. I am able to use the XMMS, which works alright, but for example, when I try to  use the grecord I get a message that the sound system is busy (all other sound applications are closed). It has allready worked, but when I booted the machine iy stoped.

First thing to check is the config on your sound card - even if it appears
to be working okay it might not be.  I spent hours this week trying to
sort out a (vaguely) similar problem.  I could play WAVs in XMMS, but not
MP3s, and I couldn't get esd to work.

Turned out to be because I'd only set 1 out of 2 DMAs on my sound card.

(If anyone can explain why XMMS could play WAVs but not MP3s when it was
setup like this, I'd be interested to know.)

Regards,
Jim

 --
/\    /\           How  happy  is  the  human  soul,
 /im /-arrand    Not  enslaved  by  dull  control,