Re: any women here?

Am Wed, 18 April 2001 schrieb Deirdre Saoirse:

> On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, will trillich wrote:
>
> > > Like most places in GNU/Linux land, and IT in general for that
> > > matter, the project (newbiedoc) isn't getting "all the help" that it
> > > needs because: the help of women is lacking.  It's sad to see 1/2
> > > the human race is missing, once again.

Only half the human race? I looked at the project's Sourceforge page
and it only has 7 developers +- 4 'admins'. I thought there was a
world population problem, but obviously I was wrong.

dash - colon - right-bracket

> > > There are some women working
> > > on tech. projects here and there, but as we well know, it's male
> > > dominated.

Most of the software engineer types where I work are men, as you
suggest, but there are a number of female engineers too. I don't know
if they bring anything 'different' to the job, only that they are as
capable of doing it as any of the others, which is all that matters.

> It could be because a lot of women are brushed off, or feel that they are.
> I must confess that sometimes it seems like men have invisible rays with
> which they communicate,

Its not true. Most of us are still not Bluetooth enabled.

Get your own FREE E-mail address at http://www.linuxfreemail.com
Linux FREE Mail is 100% FREE, 100% Linux, and 100% yours!